Take A Look Around

Friday, January 5, 2018

So far 2018 has been Eggsellent!

HOLA! 

So the past week has been quite an interesting experiment. I have NEVER enjoyed hard boiled eggs. I can't stand the smell of them and so I have never even remotely been interested in eating them. Until New Years Day... 

On New Year's Day I decided to make my fiance some Devilled Eggs because he loves them and his best friend always makes them for New Year's Eve. Since we are so far from home I wanted to cheer him up and make some eggs for him. I fully intended on making them just for me and not trying one at all... I really wasn't interested.

However, after they were cooked I decided to take a bite. I wanted to taste what I made for my fiance and prove to myself that all these years of not eating boiled eggs was okay because boiled eggs taste disgusting.

I was wrong.

They were DELICIOUS and I have been hooked ever since. I have been playing around with the recipe to try and make them slightly healthier. I think today is the day! The day that I have created a more healthy Devilled Egg!


Original Recipe:

2 Eggs (boiled... obviously)

1 tbs of Olive Oil Hellman's Mayonnaise 
.5 tsp of French's Dijon Mustard (we have the Chardonnay kind)
Pinch of Garlic Powder
Pinch of Onion Powder
Salt/Pepper to taste. 


By making small changes (since the spices/mustard really flavour the yolk) I have cut this recipe from 267 calories and and 23g of Fat to 190 Calories and 16g of Fat. How you might ask? GETTING RID OF THE MAYONNAISE!

I thought that having the Olive Oil Mayonnaise made it okay, and I am sure it is better for you than regular mayonnaise, but honestly... 100 calories in 1tbs is WAY too many calories for me! 12g of Fat in 1tbs!? Are you kidding me!?

So I looked around in my fridge and was looking at what I could substitute mayonnaise with and came up with Philadelphia Cream Cheese. Honestly, it went so well. I thought they tasted wonderful and I wasn't wasting away on a processed food that is completely beneficial to put in my body.

Here's what I did today:

2 Eggs
0.5 tbs Philadelphia Cream Cheese    (23 calories, 2g fat)
0.5 tsp of French's Dijon Mustard'
Pinch of Garlic Powder
Pinch of Onion Powder
Salt/Pepper to taste


I must say, I am pretty proud of myself for this. Usually I would just say "meh, 267 calories for breakfast isn't that bad... I don't need to change." But this new mindset where I am thinking about what I am putting into my body is really sinking in. I now can have a snack a couple hours after my breakfast and not feel guilty or worry about whether or not I am over eating. It has been lovely to tell you the truth. 

Just wanted to get this out there, and hopefully re-reading this in the future will remind me to try new things. Sticking to what you know is what has gotten you into this predicament. You are only going to be a new you if you change. Get out of your comfort zone. Experiment. Try new things. This is going to be my year. I can tell. 

No comments:

Post a Comment