Take A Look Around

Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Day 31: A Full Month (Reflection)

Day 31: A Full Month (Reflection)
An exact month has gone by since I decided to get serious about my new lifestyle. I have noticed a few things about healthy eating (and a healthy lifestyle) that I would like to reflect on here (in festive Christmas colours because why not?)


Obtained from Creative Commons
1) Losing Weight is Difficult when you're Sick:
During the third week of my weight-loss journey I came down with a terrible stomach virus (which I have now passed on to my man- sorry babe!). I was sick for three days, completely unable to keep anything down. The next 5 days (yes for a total of 8 days) I had absolutely now appetite. I was hungry, but every time I ate I felt so nauseous and so unsettled that my mind convinced myself that I was not hungry at all. This caused the scale to look pretty darn good when I stepped on it. I had lost so much weight. I (obviously) didn't track this weight as I knew that it was the fault of the flu. The lowest I saw on the scale was 190.8 (which was great to see... but a lie). I am now feeling 100% better and my weight has gone back up to 192.6, and I am ready to keep going for steady weight-loss.

2) It is so difficult trying to eat well when people around you aren't.
I am not going to lie to you. This is the hardest part of making healthy decisions. I know that what I put in my mouth is my own action and I am not trying to make this seem like it is the fault of others, but it is so hard to be about people who are not eating healthy with you. I have a girlfriend (bless her) who is also trying to lose weight and when she has a cheat day we often go out together to eat. I find myself, however, going out to eat with her when it ISN'T my cheat day and that is not good. I am super proud of myself though. Last Saturday was her cheat day and I went and had a sub instead of going to Fatburger (or McDonalds.. I can't remember) with her. My boyfriend is a completely different story. He is a lean man that can eat whatever he wants and will still weigh the same. I envy that SO much and I can only pray that our children get his genes and not mine. I have one french fry and the next day I've gained 45 lbs. I am doing well with that too though! The other day he bought some chocolate desserts (4 of them) and I haven't eaten a single one. I am trying over here. It's been hard... but I am trying.


Obtained from Creative Commons



3) I CANNOT go grocery shopping when I am hungry.
I have noticed that it never fails: if i go to the grocery store when I am hungry I WILL mess up and get junk food. I can't help it. A couple days ago I went to the store after work to get ingredients for a nice, healthy stew and I ended up getting Ruffles and Onion dip for a snack before supper. I am not impressed by this, it sucks. I had a plan in mind, and I simply could not fight the temptation. The will power was not there. This seems like such a stupid thing to say. I should be able to stop myself from wanting a bag of chips. Even if I can not stop the "wanting" of junk food, I should be able to just not put the chips in the basket. I simply can't. It is so difficult. I have decided now that I am going to go the store now with a list; a list that I physically write down. If something is not on that list it is NOT allowed in my basket, whatsoever. Mind over matter. I can control myself. I just have to be conscious about it.   

4) It is Amazing how far you can come in 4 weeks.
Four weeks ago I was 202.6lbs (potentially more). In these past four weeks I could have continued being unhealthy and gained 10lbs instead of losing it. I could be 212.6 rather than 192.6. It just required me to start. You can do anything if you put your mind to it. In another four weeks I could be 182.6, then 172.6, then 162.6, then 152.6 (my goal). That means, that if I put my mind to it and work extremely hard, I can reach my goal in 4 more months (5 months total). By the end of March I could weigh my goal. I know it is going to get harder, but I feel so motivated and so excited to do this. I really think I can do it: I really do.


Obtained from Creative Commons


That's all for now. I am feeling very grateful and motivated to continue on this journey. Please join me.

Take Care,
See you soon!
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment